Results oriented computer professional with eleven years of progressive
responsibility. Solid computing background with both professional and hobbyist
interests in nearly every aspect of computing. Strengths include problem
solving, Unix/Linux system administration, and networking from a system
administrator’s perspective. Dependable, timely, thorough, and well-organizead
planner who communicates effectively and possesses the ability to prioritize,
analyze, and make decisions.
Specialties: Unix/Linux system administration, web programming, and system security
Operating Systems: FreeBSD, Linux, HP-UX, Mac OS X, Solaris, Windows Server
Languages: PHP, Perl, SQL, Borne shell scripting, C, C++, Python, Ruby
Software: ISC BIND, ISC DHCPD, Apache, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Postfix
Director of IT Operations (2012 - Present)
Senior member of the operations team. Senior or lead on projects involving
production infrastructure and internal IT systems and resources.
Associate Director (2008 - 2012)
- Act in both a managerial and technical role, managing and working with a team
of five system administrators.
- Coordinate with consultants, vendors, and customers to deploy and support an
Electronic Health Records system for clinics affiliated with Creighton
- Continue driving a virtualization initiative, bringing hundreds of virtual
machines online and implementing disaster recovery for the environment.
- Spearhead an initiative to upgrade and modernize the University’s backup
environment to include LTO-4 tape drives, intelligent disk targets with data
deduplication, synthetic full backups, monitoring and reporting tools, etc.
Unix Systems Architect (2005 - 2008)
Planning for, designing, testing, and implementing a secure and consolidated
system infrastructure with homogeneous hardware relying on virtualization.
- Act in a technological advisory role for the Assistant Vice President of
Information Technology on topics including virtualization, system
infrastructure, and new areas of focus.
- Work with customers, vendors, and consultants to design, implement, and
deploy a server environment based on VMWare and standard hardware
- Assist with University information security initiatives as a member of the
Division of Information Technology’s Security Solutions Team. Duties involve
the development of new policies, procedures, and practices to strengthen
Unix Systems Administrator - Student (2000 - 2005)
Basic and advanced HP-UX, Linux, and Solaris system administration, plus other
projects with University-wide impact.
- Assisted with the administration of many HP-UX, Linux, and Solaris systems.
This included routine maintenance and non-routine work as well.
- Designed and implemented a PHP and Oracle-based web application that provided
a centralized location for directory lookup, account management, e-mail alias
management, and similar related tasks.
- Worked in a team of two to design, implement, and deploy a PHP and Oracle-
based web application to provide host registration across the entire
University network, interfacing with DHCP and DNS. Also developed and
integrated web-based tools to aid in the daily tasks of the network
- Assisted with some simple networking work, including troubleshooting issues
involving servers, detecting network attacks, and maintaining and
troubleshooting the campus DNS and DHCP services.
FreeBSD Source Committer (2003 - 2006)
Contributed time and code to various FreeBSD projects and efforts, ranging from
closing open bug reports to implementing simple kernel-based solutions.
Creighton University, Omaha, NE
Bachelor of Science, Computer Science 2005