Results oriented computer professional with fourteen years of progressive responsibility. Solid computing background with both professional and hobbyist interests in nearly every aspect of computing. Strengths include problem solving, Unix/Linux system administration, and networking from a system administrator’s perspective. Dependable, timely, thorough, and well-organized planner who communicates effectively and possesses the ability to prioritize, analyze, and make decisions.
Specialties: Unix/Linux system administration, web programming, and system security
Operating Systems: FreeBSD, Linux, HP-UX, Mac OS X, Solaris, Windows Server
Languages: PHP, Perl, SQL, Borne shell scripting, C, C++, Python, Ruby
Software: ISC BIND, ISC DHCPD, Apache, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Postfix
Director of IT Operations (2012 - Present)
Senior member of the operations team. Design and oversee the growth and maintenance of both the worldwide infrastructure that powers FlightAware as well as all of the IT systems powering FlightAware’s two corporate offices.
Associate Director (2008 - 2012)
- Act in both a managerial and technical role, managing and working with a team of five system administrators.
- Coordinate with consultants, vendors, and customers to deploy and support an Electronic Health Records system for clinics affiliated with Creighton University.
- Continue driving a virtualization initiative, bringing hundreds of virtual machines online and implementing disaster recovery for the environment.
- Spearhead an initiative to upgrade and modernize the University’s backup environment to include LTO-4 tape drives, intelligent disk targets with data deduplication, synthetic full backups, monitoring and reporting tools, etc.
Unix Systems Architect (2005 - 2008)
Planning for, designing, testing, and implementing a secure and consolidated system infrastructure with homogeneous hardware relying on virtualization.
- Act in a technological advisory role for the Assistant Vice President of Information Technology on topics including virtualization, system infrastructure, and new areas of focus.
- Work with customers, vendors, and consultants to design, implement, and deploy a server environment based on VMWare and standard hardware configurations.
- Assist with University information security initiatives as a member of the Division of Information Technology’s Security Solutions Team. Duties involve the development of new policies, procedures, and practices to strengthen information security.
Unix Systems Administrator - Student (2000 - 2005)
Basic and advanced HP-UX, Linux, and Solaris system administration, plus other projects with University-wide impact.
- Assisted with the administration of many HP-UX, Linux, and Solaris systems. This included routine maintenance and non-routine work as well.
- Designed and implemented a PHP and Oracle-based web application that provided a centralized location for directory lookup, account management, e-mail alias management, and similar related tasks.
- Worked in a team of two to design, implement, and deploy a PHP and Oracle- based web application to provide host registration across the entire University network, interfacing with DHCP and DNS. Also developed and integrated web-based tools to aid in the daily tasks of the network administration team.
- Assisted with some simple networking work, including troubleshooting issues involving servers, detecting network attacks, and maintaining and troubleshooting the campus DNS and DHCP services.
FreeBSD Source Committer (2003 - 2006)
Contributed time and code to various FreeBSD projects and efforts, ranging from closing open bug reports to implementing simple kernel-based solutions.
Creighton University, Omaha, NE
Bachelor of Science, Computer Science 2005
© Copyright 2011-2016 Sean Kelly